By Michael Corey, Jeff Szastak, Michael Webster
The start-to-finish consultant to virtualizing business-critical SQL Server databases on VMware vSphere 5
By virtualizing business-critical databases, organisations can force way more worth from latest IT infrastructure. yet squeezing greatest functionality out of a virtualized database example is an paintings up to a technology. This crucial start-to-finish advisor brings jointly the entire ideas, advice, and insights you want to succeed.
Drawing on unsurpassed own event, 3 top specialists percentage entire most sensible practices for deploying business-critical database servers in virtualized vSphere five environments. They hide the complete venture lifecycle, bridging technical and communications gaps among SQL Server and VMware pros that frequently make database virtualization tougher than it must be.
You’ll locate particular information for architects and directors chargeable for structures, garage, databases, functions, or VMware virtualization. The authors additionally current unique, start-to-finish assurance of functionality baselining and trying out: all you want to make your virtualized databases as quick as they're competitively priced. even though this booklet specializes in SQL, the authors’ confirmed suggestions for reinforcing functionality could be leveraged via any IT specialist virtualizing a hard Tier 1 application.
• company situations for database virtualization: consolidation, Database as a carrier (DaaS), potency, and “SLAs on steroids”
• utilizing the redundancy inherent in virtualization to enhance availability
• developing a cautious, conservative implementation plan
• Balancing disk, CPU, reminiscence, and community for better performance
• getting to know the 5 key ideas of database garage design
• Leveraging reminiscence: SQL MAX, web page locking, NUMA, reservations, swapping, huge reminiscence pages, and more
• making sure responsiveness via supplying a quick, trustworthy, low-latency network
• helping complex AlwaysOn Failover Cluster circumstances and Availability Groups
• Baselining actual structures and correctly making a choice on source requirements
• Configuring functionality checks from commencing to end
• Migrating present SQL Server databases onto a vSphere platform
• heading off traps and pitfalls in virtualizing creation databases
• dealing with and tracking virtualized database situations and assets